Miguel Castro has resigned as a city councilor, and given the circumstances it was the right move to make for all, including the residents of Meriden.
Democrats will now look to fill the Area 1 seat vacated by Castro. The process typically involves soliciting and vetting candidates and then making a recommendation to the council.
“I think each party respects the other party’s responsibility to vet a candidate and bring them forward,” said Council Majority Leader David Lowell.
Castro will be replaced by a registered Democrat who lives in Area 1, which covers the inner city. Castro was serving a four-year term and would have been up for reelection in November 2021.
Castro had won some praise as a councilor for building relationships in his community. But for the last couple of years his efforts as a councilor were clouded by several incidents. Those incidents included one that resulted in Castro’s being charged with assaulting judicial marshals during a 2018 immigration protest outside the Meriden courthouse. Those charges were dropped in November.
Castro was arrested on May 23 on charges that he assaulted a family member during an argument at their home. In his letter of resignation, he noted that he and his family “have been experiencing some challenges over the past several years. Last week, those challenges hit a peak and I regret the circumstances that ensued. Unfortunately, my family cannot heal while I am in the public light as an elected official.”
Those words support the idea that his resignation is in the best interests of Castro, his family, the City Council, and the people of Meriden as a whole. Castro said he intends to continue to advocate for his community outside of his role as a city councilor.
Resigning was the right decision to make. Now the city can focus on a replacement, and on moving forward.