Man sentenced to 25 years in prison in 2017 robbery, kidnapping in Southington 

Man sentenced to 25 years in prison in 2017 robbery, kidnapping in Southington 

reporter photo

NEW BRITAIN — A Hartford man was sentenced Friday to 25 years in prison in connection with a 2017 bank robbery and kidnapping in Southington.

A 43-year-old Meriden man also charged is due to be sentenced later this month.

Lamar McCarthy, 35, of Hartford, was charged in September 2017 with three counts of first-degree kidnapping, second-degree robbery, second-degree conspiracy to commit robbery, robbery involving an occupied vehicle and engaging police in pursuit.

On Friday in New Britain Superior Court, McCarthy was convicted of second-degree robbery, second-degree larceny and three counts of second-degree kidnapping, according to a court clerk.

Norman Renaldi, 43, of Meriden, was charged in June 2017 with first-degree robbery, second-degree larceny, attempted carjacking, engaging police in pursuit, interfering with police, possession of narcotics and three counts of criminal attempt to commit second-degree kidnapping.

In September, Renaldi pleaded guilty to second-degree robbery, attempt to commit second-degree kidnapping and conspiracy to commit second-degree robbery. He is due to be sentenced Dec. 20 and is held on $250,000 bond. 

On June 18, 2017, Renaldi entered the People’s Bank branch inside Stop & Shop, 505 N. Main St., and handed a teller a note demanding money, according to a police report.  He got into a red minivan driven by Lamar McCarthy and the pair headed north on Route 10. When an officer tried to stop the van near Walmart, it did a U-turn, struck another vehicle, and headed south on Route 10. After the vehicle sustained a flat tire, the pair stopped near the Shell gas station, 212 Main St.

According to police reports, Renaldi was taken into custody immediately. McCarthy got into a white Jeep Cherokee that was at one of the gas pumps and drove away, leaving behind a man who had been pumping gas. The man’s wife and grandchildren, ages 3 and 6, were still in the vehicle.

A short time later, the woman and children were released at a commuter parking lot off Interstate 84 near the Cheshire-Waterbury line.
Twitter: @LaurenSellewRJ