Fire at Meriden chrome plating facility sends two people to burn center



reporter photo

MERIDEN — Two people were taken to the burn center at Bridgeport Hospital for treatment Monday after a fire broke out at a chrome plating facility on Pratt Street.

Fire Chief Ken Morgan said arriving firefighters found an active fire at CRC Chrome, 169 Pratt St., just before 11 a.m. The fire went to a second then third alarm, triggering a response from seven towns and a special hazards team.

Out of concern regarding the various chemicals used by the company, firefighters couldn’t use as much water to battle the fire like they normally might, Morgan said. The chemicals include plating acids, Morgan said. It was reported that the incident started with a flash fire while employees of the plating company were working. The employees of the business were evacuated and as of 1 p.m. there were no other injuries than the two initial employees, Morgan said.   

Police diverted traffic around the area. Emergency responders asked residents in the area to shelter in place as a precaution. Morgan said a crew from the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection was on site to monitor air quality and any runoff water from the fire crews. He said drinking water is on a separate system and there were no concerns for residents in that regard. 

Morgan said firefighters conducted a long response and had to implement a decontamination and cleanup process during the response, which is time consuming. 

Mutual aid came from seven area towns as well as a regional hazmat team and DEEP.  

lsellew@record-journal.com203-317-2225Twitter: @LaurenSellewRJ



Advertisement
With local school, politics and coronavirus news being more important now than ever, please help our newsroom deliver the coverage you deserve. Please support Local news.

More From This Section

Advertisement