MERIDEN — A fire at Noack’s Meat Products late Tuesday night that forced the business to remain closed on Wednesday was ruled accidental, according to the fire marshal.
The business is scheduled to reopen Thursday, the owner said.
There were no injuries.
The fire was reported at the 1112 E. Main St. business at around 11:40 p.m. Tuesday.
Fire Chief Ken Morgan noted those types of calls are not uncommon because the business smokes meat and the first arriving firefighters thought that was the cause of the smoke.
However, crews found a fire in the smoker area that extended into the attic. The call was upgraded to a second alarm fire and mutual aid came in from Wallingford and Berlin.
Crews were able to safely and quickly extinguish the fire with no injuries.
No one was working at the business at the time, Morgan said.
Fire Marshal John Yacovino said Wednesday afternoon that a vent from a meat smoker most likely heated the wood structure near it and caused the fire.
Damage from a fire at Noack's Meat Products in Meriden Dec. 4, 2019. | Dave Zajac, Record-Journal staff
Noack’s owner Evangelina Michalowski said the business remained closed Wednesday to assess the damage.
She said there were a lot of calls to make and information to gather. The incident will not affect the availability of products, Michalowski noted.
Customers were stopping by the business late Wednesday morning only to see a sign posted on the door announcing the closure due to the fire.
A sign on the front door of Noack's Meat Products in Meriden Dec. 4, 2019. The business is scheduled to re-open Thursday.| Dave Zajac, Record-Journal staff
Hans Brings, of Middletown, stopped by to buy his Advent calendar and sausage and was disappointed to learn about the fire. He said he and his wife enjoy the bratwurst and head cheese.
“I’ve been coming here for 40 years,” Brings said.