Fire Marshal: Meriden house fire caused by fault in child's electric bike

Fire Marshal: Meriden house fire caused by fault in child's electric bike



reporter photo

MERIDEN — A fire at a Spice Hill Drive Home started due to a fault in the electrical system in a child’s electric bike, according to the fire marshal. 

The Monday morning fire did extensive damage to the basement and second floor of the raised-ranch style home, Fire Marshal John Yacovino said Tuesday. There is smoke damage throughout the home and residents will not be able to return for an undetermined amount of time. The fire was ruled accidental.

A mother and three children got out of the home safely, Yacovino said. The Red Cross is providing assistance. A pet rabbit died in the fire. 

Fire crews responded to 32 Spice Hill Drive around 11:15 a.m. and found heavy fire at the front of the home. It was under control in about 10 minutes

The fire started after a fault in the electrical system of a children’s electric razor mini-bike, Yacovino said. One of the residents had plugged the bike in to charge a short time before the fire.

A car in front of the home was also damaged. Property records list the owners of the home as Carlos and Stephanie Calle. 

lsellew@record-journal.com203-317-2225Twitter: @LaurenSellewRJ


Advertisement
 
Local school, election and coronavirus news is more crucial now than ever. Help our newsroom deliver the coverage you deserve. Support Local news.

More From This Section

Latest Videos

Advertisement