Meriden woman again facing deportation

Meriden woman again facing deportation



MERIDEN — An undocumented city woman is again facing deportation after her stay was rescinded.

Nelly Cumbicos, 41, was originally scheduled to be deported Feb. 16, but learned last week she had been issued a stay, allowing her to remain in the country while the Second Circuit Court of Appeals processed her case.

On Wednesday, City Councilor Miguel Castro said Cumbicos’ stay of deportation was rescinded.

“It’s a federal issue, but it’s also a local issue,” Castro said. “It effects all of us.” 

It is unclear why the stay was reversed, and an ICE spokesman did not provide details. Cumbicos was informed Tuesday that the Department of Homeland Security had reversed its decision and issued a new deportation date of Feb. 28, according to an online petition signed by over 15,000. 

“Nelly Cumbicos has never had a chance to have her case heard by Immigration,” the petition states. “Nelly and her family just want her to have her day in court.”

Cumbicos left Ecuador 18 years ago and entered the United States illegally. She was apprehended by Immigrations & Customs Enforcement in 2015 when she applied for a Green Card. 

She lives in an apartment on Twiss Street with her husband, a U.S. citizen from Puerto Rico, and 15-year-old son, who attends Wilcox Technical High School.

A GoFuneMe account has been set up to help cover Cumbicos’ legal fees at www.gofundme.com/keepnellyhome

ltauss@record-journal.com
203-317-2231

Twitter: @LeighTaussRJ


Advertisement
Help Support Quality Local Journalism

SUBSCRIBE TO THE RJ NOW

Latest Videos

X