Meriden restaurant plans to reopen after fire on first day of business

Meriden restaurant plans to reopen after fire on first day of business



reporter photo

MERIDEN —  San Miguel Restaurant and Bakery had just opened for its first day of business Tuesday when a grill fire caused it to shut down.

“It wasn’t a (big) fire, it was only smoke,” said owner Roman Balbuena. “That’s it. We’ll be open in another couple of weeks.”

The small eatery at 133 Hanover St. sustained smoke damage, fire officials said. No one was injured and there was no harm to the equipment, Balbuena said. 

Assistant Fire Chief Brendan Noonan also characterized the damage as "low to moderate."

The restaurant had insurance and, after restocking and clearing the smoke, San Miguel will restart its Mexican restaurant and bakery operation, Balbuena said. The menu will feature Mexican foods and baked goods, he said. 

The fire was reported around 5:10 p.m. The building houses a restaurant on the first floor and apartments on the second and third.  

San Miguel had moved out of its former home at 587 Hanover Road in 2017. The Flavor Point Italian Restaurant moved into the spot a year later.

mgodin@record-journal.com
203-317-2255
Twitter: @Cconnbiz


Advertisement

Read more articles like this and help support local journalism by subscribing to the Record Journal.

Unlimited Digital Access just 99¢

Read more articles like this by subscribing to the Record Journal.

Unlimited Digital Access for just 99¢