Owner of Meriden restaurant damaged by fire hopes to reopen as early as next week

Owner of Meriden restaurant damaged by fire hopes to reopen as early as next week



reporter photo

MERIDEN — The owner of Banana Brazil hopes to be serving customers again next week following a kitchen fire on Monday.

“I’m going to come back stronger,” said Nilton Coelho.

The restaurant at 124 Hanover St. could be open as early as next week.

 “It’s going to be fast,” Coelho said.

Meriden Fire Marshal Steven Trella said the department’s investigation is complete and repairs can begin once the building department has finished its work. The fire occurred in a small hallway between the kitchen and serving area.

Trella said the fire was caused by a stove placed too close to the wall, damaging the wall and wiring inside. There were no injuries and the fire was ruled accidental.

The fire, which was reported at 10:30 a.m., occurred while the restaurant was preparing food before opening, Coelho said.  A couple thousand dollars worth of food was lost.

Coelho said many customers are asking when he’ll reopen.

“The community is very, very kind,” he said.

The restaurant offers an array of Brazilian-style grilled meats and buffet options. 

 


Advertisement
Help Support Quality Local Journalism

SUBSCRIBE TO THE RJ NOW

Latest Videos

X